This week's panel suggested by Jon Delorey
An Embarrassment of Riches
There were so many good ideas for this panel! I'm glad we get to do this one over and over because there were several on this list I still hope to use when the "promise" panel comes around again. Remember: Don't be shy about re-posting, you just might make it next time!
As always, suggestions are listed in the order they were received.
Thanks for playing and please join us again next Sunday!
- Cut to Carl slumped over the wheel of his car,
bloody and unconscious (though not dead) (yet).
- Zoom out: The PREVIOUS PANEL is actually a POP ART
PAINTING in a gallery. Carl and a potential buyer stand looking at it. In the
background there are a couple of other paintings.
Carl: This is my best work, so far.
Buyer: I'll buy it for $600.
Douglass Barre (Age 28)
- CAPTION: "Later..." The panel shows Carl driving
past another car, in which his mom is drinking and driving.
CARL: "What the--?" (Okay, he doesn't have to say "What
the--?", I've just always wanted to write someone saying that.
Have you ever known anyone to actually verbalize "What
- Mom moves towards a closet door (now opening)
and says : "It's okay Charles, You can come out now!
Carl is gone!"
David Goldfarb (age 30)
Hi, Scott. You've done my name in green the last
couple of weeks, so can I request red this week? Thanks. Anyway, on to suggestions.
- To re-use one from before, have Carl be really an actor on a TV
set filming a public-service spot. The
director shouts, "Cut! Cut! C'mon, Jerry -- more emotion!"
(The director should be a woman, btw.)
- Have Carl stalk off, darkly muttering, "Interfering old hag!
I'll kill her!"
- We could re-use, "She didn't say anything about DRUGS." This
would help dovetail with the nightmare story...
- We could re-use, "Who the hell are you, anyway?"
That's all I can think of now...more later, maybe.
[On the matter of name color, I'm afraid that it has to
remain pot luck, because of the way I paste these pages up and
my obsessive-compulsive need to keep the order strictly
chronological. Still, if anyone is as obsessive-compulsive as
I am and covets red you can lurk on Sundays
until I post the new panel (don't forget to reload frequently)
and then try to be the very first new poster. The first one is
always red! --Scott]
- Carl is sitting in the passenger seat of a car.
In the driver's seat is a little girl(around 6 years old).
Carl seems a little tipsy and says, "I'm too drunk to drive.
You'll have to."
- On an entirely different tangent, the woman says,
"Oh, by the way, you're adopted." Carl is on his
- Carl is repelling down the side of a building, saying,
"Oh well. Guess I'll have to do some covert government
- It is time my soul brother Carl got himself a little
action, dig? So I says the brother holds his sweet flower Daisy
in his arms and purrs " I love you baby, thanks". The shot would
be of them hugge'n ready for some sweet looove. Dawg.
- Carl calls his friend (Daisy? Randy? Frank?) and
says " (friend) can you drive tonight?" Carl is being
responsible and finds himself a designated driver. Good lad,
this was suggested by someone else way back in
section one, but it still cracks me up every time I think about
- a picture of Carl looking very sinister, muttering to himself:
"foolish woman, do you think my plans involve a mere 'drink and
drive'?" to prepare for the up-comming "daisy in the helecopter"
- Carl: "besides, Daisy said SHE would drink and drive tonight!"
Thomas Dougherty III
- "Are you sassing me young man!" Accuses Carl's
mother. Carl looks shocked.
[All good things come to those who wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. --Scott]
George Broderick, Jr.
- Carl sits astride a backhoe chugging a beer, saying
"She didn't say anything about drinking and operating
I think it's time Mom took the spotlight for a
- The front door slams behind Mom as carl exits.
She says: "Ha! with that moron out of the way, I can
get back to my evil plan. Nyuk! Nyuk!"
- door slams behind Mom. She says:
"Drink and Drive? Pah! He'll wish he was drunk when
realises he's missing THESE"
She is holding the BRAKE CABLES (gasp!) from Carl's car.
- door slams...
Mom:(looking tired out) "hmmm... dirty dishes
...dirty laundery...what the hey, I think *I'll*
take a drive too.."
- "I know, I'll go hang-gliding"
- Carl goes for a hotair balloon ride. "If I can't drink and
drive, I'll drink and fly"
- Carl goes out back and begins jumping on a trampoline. "I sure
can bounce high."
- Carl goes to bed, and in the background, you see his closet
slightly open and a few eyes peering out.
- "I'll stand on my head and act like a walrus!" Carl says as he
sticks pencils in his mouth to look like tusks and tries to
stand on his head.
- Carl, dressed in a tux, picks up the beautiful Daisy and they
head to their prom (or winter formal). "Daisy, you look great.
Are you ready to go?"
- Carl heads toward a dock saying, "I want to go sea diving."
- zoom out to see a girl standing next to carl. she
whispers "but CARL...."
he replies "daisy, shhh. do you want her to give me the keys or
"bye mom! thanks!"
- Carl hops into the cab of a beer truck while an old
"Good luck as our new driver."
Doug Waldron (again)
- Zoom out to show Carl and Mom both holding automatic
weapons. In unison: "Now let's get 'em!!"
- next panel have carl say "OK then you drive and I
get tanked up!"
Howard Ian Schiller
- Carl walking down the road (worn clothing): "I sure
Allen B Moore
- Carl sits in the passenger seat of a car, a bottle
in hand and a cat at the wheel. He says "But if I drink,
Fluffy can drive!"
Catt Jan Roxxanne
- carl says "um- why?"
- show carl in a super hero outfit with Daisy behind him and
have him say "-and thank you, for CARLMAN always listens to his
- Carl is driving behind a VERY leaky beer truck that
inexplicably sprouts a whale like blowhole of beer through the
roof a Carl's convertible
- Another obviously intoxicated guy leaves a bar and
enters his car.
- "Now I can practice my stunt driving!"
- Carl winds down the perilous snowy road from his mother's
- Carl thinks "Geez, how many times is she going to tell me
that?" as he drives away.
WOO! Finally made it! Time to follow up my victory
with a series of extremely nerve-wracked, unlikely to succeed
suggestions....got little energy left for "She didn't say
anything about drinking and -dredging-!" sort of ones, so let's
- She didn't say anything about bursting into flame!
- Carl's "Mom": "Congratulations! You're now a certified drag
racer!" Carl: "Oh boy!"
- Carl's Mom: (apparently losing it) "And watch out for pink
elephants...and blue people..." Carl: "Huh?"
- Carl: "But that means you'll have to drive me to the big keg
- Scraggly-bearded pirate: (bursting in): "That's the least of
your worries!" Carl: "PIRATE JOE!!"
- Carl: "OH MY GOD! I'M IN THE WRONG HOUSE!"
Quick question: Why is the 'original' Carl strip up on the site
and not the one with variable pathways a la CYOC? I always
preffered the choose-your-own route one, although they both
certainly illustrated their points rather nicely.
---Addison, collapsing around our ears
[I'd like to do that at some point, but time has been tight lately. Part of the problem is that I don't want to just scan it and put it up cold. Meanwhile, though if anyone wants to take a peek, you can find the original multi-directional Carl strip in Understanding Comics, page 105 (with a little refrain on page 206). --Scott]
- Carl: Will you give me money for a taxi?
I think it's time that Carl's Mom got her turn in
the spotlight. Therefore...
- Mum is sitting at the wheel of her car, driving along with a
beer in her hand.
Carl's Mom: More beer for me that way.
- Carl says - Yeah, I promise all right... "I am a
- Carl says - What is this? Ground Hog Day?
- Carl sits in lotus position and goes into a deep
meditative state and says "Let me think about that."
- Carl in his car with a gigantic meteor about to
- Carl getting into a moonrover.
- Carl leaving a large austere building with sign. Sign: Asylum
Carl: I don't really think that place is good for Mom. It
gives me the creeps!
- Carl drinking in his car, and monstrous tentacles beginning to
protrude from himself! Beer label: Hellbrew
- Carl and Mom continue talking, but the shot is larger to reveal
both people are floating in the midst of the astral plane.
Carl: Thank you for this knowledge with which you have
illumined my being. Mom: Now return to your body, and continue
Winter (age 3)
- Then his mother turns into a monster. And then Carl
runs and gets a cookie and he eats it.
Sky (age 5)
Ivy (38 and proud of it)
- Carl passes a mirror and we see his reflection is
that of the Devil.
- Carl's mother decks him.
- Carl experiences a dizzying psychic episode wherein he gets a
distinct feeling that he WILL die if he goes out. Call it ESP.
- Carl says "OK, Mom, I'll see you later, ."
- Carl discovers that his car only works in reverse.
- As he heads to his room, depressed, Carl reassures
the woman, "I don't want to end up like Dave just did."
Kenneth Applebaum (age 22 312/365) [how's that for
- She never said anything about drugs, though!