This week's panel suggested by Doug Waldron!
This week, I'm delighted to choose Doug Waldron, whose posts (including the memorable "keep Carl alive" campaign) have been frequent favorites for Ivy and me. Way to go, Doug!
As always, suggestions are listed in the order they were received.
Thanks for playing and please join us again next Sunday!
- Daisy turns into a big groundhog that bites the Microsoft
I won! I won! Or I helped, at least. Oh, my suggestion?
- Shot of Carl in car with Daisy. Carl reaches for a beer, saying "I have to have a beer to celebrate Groundhog's Day!" (Or just "...to celebrate," so it can flow from either direction.)
(I've just been wondering ... is that still Bob Lappan's lettering? Someone probably already asked this, but I just started reading.)
[You're the first to ask, actually. Bob was indeed the original Carl letterer. I'm using a Lappanish pastiche but no, it's just me and my clumsy tools. --Scott]
- The car is upside down, as is the word balloon,
saying, "Huh? What happened to the panel?"
- Car goes over a cliff, with someone in the car (either Carl or
Daisy, I guess) saying, "Whoops!" Short and sweet.
- Mom grabs onto the car with big long spikey hands, ala
Terminator 2, while Carl says, "Oh no! Mom!"
- The car swerves to avoid a passing ground hog, and goes right
over a cliff, the word baloon saying, "Watch out!"
- The car hits a pedestrian, and Carl shouts out, "Oh no, I hit
Neil Gaiman!" cause if anyone could take a joke like that, he
- The car rams into the side of the panel, and Carl shouts, "Oh
no, we hit the side of the panel!", since he has mastered the
- Finally, repeat the panel about Ground hog day. Finally,
repeat the panel about Ground hog day. (I know how unfunny
that was, but, you know...how could I not?)
- the next panel should be a shot looking in through
the front window of the car, Daisy driving, carl riding
shotgun, and the Momster seen chasing them through the rear
Daisy: "why is a monster chasing you, Carl?"
Carl: "the hell if I know!" (as he cracks open a beer)
- or same picture, different conversaiton:
Daisy: "apparently it's Carl-gets-chased-by-monster Day!"
Carl: "well, any holiday is worth celebrating!" (as he cracks
open a beer)
- or a shot of the Momster shouting commands to a hoard of evil
Momster: "get him, my pint-sized dealers of death! Shadow or
no shadow, Carl shall not live to see another winter!"
- or a shot of the car interior, Carl again riding shotgun:
Daisy: "you bet it's Ground Hog day, buster!"
Carl: "Daisy, you're a GROUND HOG!!"
- How about a panel strikingly similar to the "What
is this? Groundhog Day?" panel (just for repetition's sake?)?
A caption could read: "Hey, what's THIS button do?"
- "Oh no! A 900-pound gorilla!" The car begins to spin out of
control as it tries to avoid the huge mammal.
- The car, like an certain ingeniously designed DeLorean,
switches to flight mode. "Roads? Who needs 'em?"
- The car drives by a sign that reads "Road Ends Ahead" A voice
inside the car says "Yeah, RIGHT!"
- "Is that a brick wall up ahead? Nah."
- Small flames and smoke shoot out from underneath the car's
hood. "Oh no! I'm not insured!"
George Broderick, Jr.
- car zooms along. Carl balloon: Where are we going?
Daisy balloon: To the airport! It's Sikorsky
Pike (luke Perry)
- The car stops at Daisy's house. Daisy leads Carl
into the house holding his hand. Carl says "I'm so glad to see
What follows is one suggestion, with probably way
too much going on:
- Carl turns and faces the back seat (monster in background),
Daisy sits there pointing straight ahead at something in front
of the car.
Carl: "Daisy! What the devil are you doing here?"
Daisy: "Carl! Look out!!!"
- Close-up of Carl inside the car. His expression is
on of intense thought (maybe his eyes are closed). He
snickers, "no, no, its April Fools"
Avery J. Cohen
- The car driving off in the background. In the
foreground the monster has a terrified look on his face,
perhaps in a pose adapted from the ubiquitous painting "The
Scream", and is screaming either "Aieee! What's that?" or
"Aieee! It's my shadow!"
Al B Moore
- Carl is in the passenger seat of the car, and there
is a groundhog driving. The groundhog says "Yes! I'm Daisy
Stéphane Lussier (pushing thirty)
- The horrible microsoft monster calls a passing
helicopter also piloted by one of its kind.
It says something like "&*%/#!"&".
Translation: "Follow that car!"
Wait a minute- what DOESN'T belong to Microsoft?
But seriously, folks... you've gotten yourself into two hairy
logistical pickles here. (Hairy pickles? Yecch.) Namely:
1) Who's driving the car, Carl or Daisy?
b) How are you going to turn the car into a helicopter in two
- For problem 1), I have a suggestion. An interior shot of the
car, showing Daisy at the wheel- she notices the monster in
the rear window and, teeth gritted, says, "No, more like
Independence Day. Hang on!" Carl, meanwhile, is slumped in
the seat next to her with a bottle of Thunderbird, mumbling,
"She didn't say anything about drinking while DAISY drives!"
(All right, that's a little much, especially for a panel that
would be crowded in any event, but I couldn't resist.)
For the next panel, I think you'd have to have the car
transform into a helicopter, while Daisy explains that she's a
secret agent for the Justice Department. Now THERE's a
crowded panel- but I'm just the writer, not the artist, so
it's not my problem. ("Geez, I need to wedge in that big
speech, but I wanted room to draw that bitchin' close-up!")
- View of Carl and Daisy in front seat of car,
driving, Momster visible through rear window. Carl:
"That's no groundhog!" (Simple, yet effective.)
- Daisy dons cowboy hat and yells: "Yippee-ki-yay,
Avery J. Cohen
- Adding to my suggestion from Monday, (is this too
much for one pannel?):
In the foreground, the groundhog sticks his head up out of his
hole, frieghtening the monster while the car bounces off in
Groundhog: What's up, doc?
Monster: Aie yi yi!
- Or repeat the "What is this, Ground Hog Day?" panel, if you
want to stick with a theme.
(Then I'll suggest repeating the first panel ("Promise me,
Carl..."), and then "What is this, Ground Hog Day?" only this
time with the helicopter instead of the car.)
Avery J. Cohen
- Looking in the dashboard, Carl is talking to Daisy:
"It's enough to drive me to drink!"
Howard Ian Schiller
Well, if he belongs to microsoft...
- Inside shot of the car we see the backs of Carl and Daisy
and the road ahead of them. Daisy says "I know where we can
get some help" and on the horizon is a building with the Apple
Macintosh logo on it.
Nothing like some corporate warfare.
- Carl sees daisy, asks: "What are you doing here?"
- Carl turns to Daisy in the car and suggests they
- Daisy turns into a monster while driving and tells
Carl she's his worst nightmare.
- Daisy is clearly drinking and driving (with Carl as
as a passenger).
- Carl sticks his body out the window and says
"Somebody should put up a sign for these kinds of things!!"
and a voice says "Carl! Sit down!"
- what would be cool if like there was some weird twist in the
story, like, since mabey Carls mom is a monster you could have
Carl turn into a monster. Say that Carl's monsterism only
works on ground hog day for some weird reason, so that way
when he's in the car he says something like "AAA! I'm turning
into a ground hog! Nooo!!"
- Carl looks at the monster and says "Man. That idustrial
waste is really messing up those groung hogs."
- Carl looks at Daisy and says "Y'know, you could have ASKED
to use my car..." and Daisy says "Do you wanna get off here or
whine about it..."
I have to say I'm not as put out about the
Day" reference as I was last week. After all, repetition
is one of the basic themes of CYOC -- this gets us
started *referring* to repetition. Fun!
(Just in case anyone is still wondering at this point,
"Groundhog Day" was a Bill Murray romantic comedy in
which he has to relive the same day over and over again
until he gets it right. Its predecessor was a film
called 12:01, both are probably required viewing for
die-hard CYOC fans.)
Tricky to make a panel that works from both directions
- Interior view of car. Carl is befuddled, with a little
confusion bubble or two popping over his head. He is
looking at Daisy, who is looking at him with concern
and saying, "Promise me you won't drink and drive, Carl."
- Carl and Daisy are stopped at a light. The momster
leans in the window, points a tentacle, and says,
"Carl! Promise me you won't drink and drive!"
- Playing it straight: Interior view of car. Carl:
"Thanks for the pickup, Daisy!" Daisy: "Want a beer?"
- Alternately, Carl to Daisy: "You wouldn't believe what's
been happening to me!"
- Or, Carl to Daisy: "On the other hand, maybe I've burst
into a dream." :-)
- Daisy to Carl: "So, are we going to a horror movie,
or another weird romantic comedy?" Carl is looking at
her and doesn't say anything.
I want to say that Carl has got to be the most spastic,
extreme manic-depressive character I've ever encountered.
Note to Douglas Barre (Age 28). Your God/chess panel
wins my personal award for Best Yet. Do suggest it again
Looking downpage, I'm suggesting that you do the two panels
"Groundhog Day?" in the same week. Otherwise, you may not get
that work for both the down-and-right survival path AND the
right-and-down quick-death path.
Thank you for printing my commentary along with my
Discussion amongst contributors could make this even more
- In the car. Carl is sitting next to an older man,
who is driving.
Older Man: No. I'm your dad, and I should know.
- Inside the car. Daisy is driving. Carl is sitting next to her.
Daisy: Yes. I always go for a drive on the second of February.
- Close Up of Daisy and Carl in car.
Carl: Daisy, what the hell is going on!?!
Avery J. Cohen
- The car crashes into a giant groundhog.
- The car is snagged by a giant lasso. "What's that?"
Elan "Jiggy" Trinidad
- The car crashes into something
(maybe a giant monkey, person, wall, Ronald
Jeff the Crackhead
- Giant shadow of Microsoft monster looms menacingly
over Carl's car. He screams "Oh NO, an extra month of
Douglass (age 28)
- In response to both the questions, we see Daisy
driving the car, holding a gun at Carl. DAISY: "I'm afraid so,
M. Robert Turnage
- A view through the front window of the car. Carl
and Daisy are in the car together with Daisy driving and Carl
in the passenger seat. From the viewer's POV the left half of
Daisy's face is normal, but the right half is turning
Carl says, "Daisy, I'm having the wierdest day."
Daisy says in a monster voice, "Carl...Its Ground Hog Day."
- Daisy is driving the car and asks carl "You want some of my
- They Run form the car to a chopper shouting "Out of gas again"
- In the chopper they struggle for the Controlls.
"Your too drunk to drive daisy!"
(this matches the pace with the other pannel preceeding this.)
- "Look out a clif!"
as the chopper winds towards it.
- an explosion that fils the pannel.
(allowing for an explosion form the other direction of
- Very simple suggestion. Carl is in the car with
Daisy, looking at her in the driver's seat, and saying, "Wait
a minute! Why are you here?" This suggestion works because in
the panel to the left, he had been in the driver's seat, and
is now surprised to find he has been moved to the adjacent
seat. In the above panel, he's wondering how Daisy knew to
come and save him.
- My only sugestion is that Carl should be really
sweaty, and Daisy should start to grow two buck teeth like
groundhog teeth and should have hair growing on her body.
Carl should say "You're a GROUNDHOG?!"
Jon Delorey (age 176,666,666,667 half lifes of
- Well, since I'll probably die anyway, where is the
- What would Bill Murray do at a time like this?
- Moving car. Balloon from car: "I'd better hurry!"
- Moving car, with monster following. Balloon from car: "Oh, my
- Moving car, with mother following. Mother: "Wait, Carl!".
Thought balloon from car: "Huh?" or "What the--?"
- Inside car. Daisy is driving, Carl is in passenger seat. Carl:
"What are *you* doing here?"
- Inside car. Monster is driving. Carl is in passenger seat.
- In the car, Carl says "Quick, to the airport!"
- Carl is stuck in a traffic jam and says "DARN! Traffic
- You see the car swerving and the driver says "I'll take a
- Carl turns to the monster and says, "Do you know Bill's last
- As Carl is jumping in the car, he somehow accidently knocks
Daisy out and screams "Daisy!"
- The car hits a semi-large rock (or small boulder) and the car
begins to flip.
Douglass Barre (age 28)
(I should point out that something out there
doesn't want my to suggest Carl this week--twice so far doing
this my machine has decided to revolt and kill itself rather
than allow my words to be posted...) Anyway...
- From the back seat, we see CARL and DAISY looking over their
shoulders past us, assumedly after the Momster they're
fleeing. CARL: "Boy, good thing we're safe now!" In the
windshield, however, we see that they're heading towards a
large, dark, cave labelled "DANGER! DARK CAVE!"
- CARL looks in DAISY's glove compartment. He looks shocked and
frightened. CARL: "How did that get in there?"
- We see GOD and the DEVIL playing some strange card game. On
the cards we can see pictures of CARL, DAISY, MOM, the
MOMSTER, etc. GOD: "Your turn. Untap first."
- We see a map of America, with a red dotted line indicating
CARL and DAISY's meandering path. The path ends at a star
labelled "Mount Rushmore." (I know I don't need to tell you
Mount Rushmore is in South Dakota. Which, subtle guy I am, I
- CARL stands in shock, the Black Regent's dark mistress
revealed at last as the Barefoot Girl! So surprised is he that
he drops the Sceptre of Nataal, thus making him once again
susceptible to the hereditary pirate curse. The Barefoot Girl
laughs in mockery: "Ah, Carl, only you would be so foolish as
to give up your pure love of Daisy for so fleeting a
dalliance! Now you are without protection at the moment of my
ascendancy!" In the shadows, however, we see DAISY, clutching
the stump where her left hand was cut off by the Monkey King.
In her other hand is the Remington pistol dropped by Simon
Pale. She thinks: "Still one chance... if only I can get the
attention of the Nicest Cat in the World... all may not yet be
in vain!" Meanwhile, however, the Chinese Army is closing in
on Valavoodra's hiding place and the Monkey King, summoned out
of the Microverse of Nataal, is helpless, trapped behind the
Codex of Gold. CAPTION: "Next: The Return of the
- We see Carl hunched over a computer, typing into a web page
that looks remarkably like this one: "CARL wins the lottery
and marries Winona Ry_"
- Daisy and Carl sitting inside the car, Daisy
Daisy: "Ground Hog Day? Why does it have to be Ground Hog Day
for things to seem to be repeating? Huh? Why? Just because
of that $@%! movie...."