DID YOU HEAR THAT?
Just to reiterate: I will miss next week's Carl (due to SPX '98 -- see the Welcome Page)
so once again we have a Special Two-Week
Carl Challenge! Post your suggestions for panels "A" and "B" anytime until
Saturday October 3rd at Midnight and if your suggestion is used this time I will
send an original, ballpoint pen drawing of Millard Fillmore, Thirteenth President
of the United States on a plain, regulation-sized U.S. postcard. I pledge to YOU
my loyal readers that this drawing will take at least 6 minutes to complete. Can
you resist?! Make your suggestion today!
Congratulations to Michael Avolio whose excellent
suggestion leaves plenty of lattitude for our two week follow-up.
As always, suggestions are listed in the order they were received.
Thanks for playing and keep those suggestions coming!
- I guess this is a bit obvious, but seeing as we probably have to take out
two Carls with one panel, how about the lying down Carl (or as I like to refer to
him, "psychedelic Drawing Carl") getting squished under the tyres and at the same
time "pink Elelphant Carl" pitching forward through the windscreen and straight
into a brick wall. the RIP panel should read:
"RIP. Carl x2"
- Or, alternatively, you might not want to spell it all out (or there might
not be enough room for all that) and let the gutter do the talkingójust a huge
panel of "SMASSH!!!!" and then the "RIP Carl x2" panel. Implication is so much
more fun than spelling it out, right?
Note: Adam was one of several people who assumed that both Carls had to die on the
corner, but in fact that's just a turning point. Remember, if Carl must die, I'll
always give you a gravestone panel. As it happens, no death is necessary for a while
(though we do have a spare, don't we?) --Scott
- carl standing in front of the "RIP Carl" gravesite.
- comments: Carl swerves to avoid hitting the other Carl and hits a street
light on the side of the road. This kills Carl instantly and causes the street
light to fall towards the other Carl...Two Carls with one pole, you might say.
- The Carl that just fell from the sky lies in a pool of his own blood,
bleeding to death.
The other Carl smashes on to a wall cause because he got distracted of the first,
[Yup, they doth die].
- Driver-Carl, goes near Falling-Carl and says 'Are you all right? Here
take some pills. I took some too earlier'
[Winners don't use drugs]
- Whoosh! "Whoa!" A UFO appears out of nowhere and the falling Carl is
taken along for a ride (O.K., so I stole this idea from "The Life of Brian"...
Whoosh "Whoa!" A flying pink elephant appears out of nowhere and... well, you
know the rest.
Another portal appears on the hood of the car, and Carl falls into it.
Carl hits himself with his car (I know this is obvious, but it has a Marshall
Close-up of both Carls screaming (in a shared balloon).
- the windshield splits the screen. carl, face pressed against the outside
of the windshield faces carl, inside the car. inside the car, the world is black
and white. outside the car, the world is all pretty swirly colors.
- An anime-style split panel, based on those great scenes that
happen when enemies meet in combat. All of the motion
is frozen and the top half of the panel has "falling
Carl's" face on the right with lots of movement lines
and the bottom half has "driving Carl's" face on the
left with lines going in the opposite direction.
Douglass Barre (Age 28)
- Drawing Carl sprouts wings and flies over the car. Driving Carl says,
"Whew! That was close!"
- Carls come face to face through the car windshield, both thinking, "Boy,
what a handsome guy this is!"
- Driving Carl speeds on, crushing Drawing Carl beneath his wheels. In the
background, we see that he is driving past a whole graveyard of "R.I.P. CARL"
- Both Carls stand in front of their mom, each saying, "No, I'm
Carl!" Mom is thinking, "2 x food, 2 x clothes, 2 x car insurance..."
- Carl's has to die in the next panel on the right, right?
So, Carl (in the car) swerves out of the way into a stoplight.
- Falling Carl lands on Driving Carl's car with a THUMP.
- Falling Carl crashes through the car's windshield.
- Driving Carl jerks the wheel, saying, "I think I hit something!" or,
"What was that?" There's some sort of loud sound fx... ("crash"?)
- The whole panel is covered with a loud CRASH! or something to that
- Carl 1 is standing over Carl 2's gravestone. A tear travels down his
face. "What hell is this?" he moans.
- As Carl hits the ground he shatters into many several Carls, something
akin to the broom splinters in Fantasia.
- Carl is hit by the car.
Carl flies through the air, saying, "This ain't pretty...."
- Carl looks in the car. You, Scot, are driving.You
speed-up, laughing with an insane cackle(hope this
isn't too much over the top).
- That flying pink elephant falls out of the portal. He
ends up crushing the car. This isn't a very good idea,
but since I can have as many ideas as I want....
- Carl is inside the car. Carl is falling. The Carls (or
"Carli" or "Carlites") colide, turning into a
- "camera" pulls back to show preceding panel is a panel on the drawing
board of yet another 2075-era carl, who is apparently suffering a fatal heart
attack (a la terry gilliam in "monty python and the holy grail").
(no spontaneous combustion allowed? jeez, you're really limiting us here,
- Side-shot of car, with Carl behind wheel bent forward
over steering wheel looking at another Carl, somewhat
contorted on the hood of the car with his face pressed
up against the windshield. "Doppleganger!" says the
first Carl. "Dybbuk!" says the second Carl.
- Carl, out of the car, looking down at the body in front of it. The car's
fender is bashed in. He cries out in alarm, "Oh my God! I killed myself!"
- Carl gets a talking erection named Frank.
Frank saves the day.
- Carl fall on the Carl's car and look through the front
car's window and see Carl and think 'I must be drunk!'
Sorry about my terrible english, I'm brazilian!
Your english is far better than my portuguese, Sidney; no need
to apologize. Thank you for posting! --Scott