This week's panel suggested by Jason Fliegel (with an honorable mention to dan wheeler who had a similar idea last time we followed this panel!)
"A Pree! A Pree! A Ree! A Ree!"
I love my kids. (The above quote comes from Winter's suggestion to be found third to last this week.)
This week was a record-breaker for Carl, perhaps due in part to the number of first-timers visiting the comics section for my new online comic My Obsession with Chess. A warm welcome to all our newcomers and a hearty welcome back to Carl's loyal brainstorming regulars!
As always, suggestions are listed in the order they were received.
Thanks for playing and please join us again next Sunday!
- "She didn't say anything about drinking and SURFING!"
- "She didn't say anything about drinking and FLYING!"
- Carl is on an Air New Zealand plane, pouring one of those tiny plastic vodka bottles down his throat as a stewardess looks on, smiling.
Carl: "She didn't say anything about drinking and GOING TO NEW ZEALAND!"
(Isn't it New Zealand where bungee jumping came from?)
- "She didn't say anything about drinking and DRINKING SOME MORE!"
- Carl watches a samurai film with a beer, saying, "She didn't say anything about drinking and Kurosawa films!"
- Carl plays a drum set, saying, "She didn't say anything about drinking and drumming!"
- Carl is doing stand-up comedy, saying, "And then I says, 'I promise.' Whatta maroon!"
- Carl yells at a fishtank, saying "She didn't say anything about drinking and hassling aquariam fish!"
- Carl says, "Well, if I can't drink, I'll find another way to get high!"
- Carl's mom drives off with the car, drinking, saying, "At least Carl will be ok!"
Catt Jan Roxxanne
- Carl pours out his heart to a bum (who shares his drink with him)... "My wife is always nagging..."
- Carl goes to a shrink
- Carl goes to a gun shop to get a gun to kill his wife...
- Carl goes to a restaurant and an attractive woman offers to buy him a drink.
- Carl's wife says: "I mean it, don't..."
and Carl slaps her and tells her to shut up.
- Carl pulls up in front of a house where a party is taking place (he can pull up in front of a house with a lot of noise coming from it or show him in the party).
- Carl goes to see his girlfriend at her house or goes out on a date.
- "I'll watch pure Na (sodium) react with distilled water or figure
out how much carbon dioxide is produced when you ignite the
hydorcarbon ethane!" (sorry about that one, chemistry final
tomorrow and I've been studying for way to long)
- carl on a coin operated pony ride (like the ones
outside the grocery store) drinking a 40.
- carl drinking a 40 and operating some piece of heavy machinery
preferrable something that could do grevious bodily damage to
many people at once like a combine or thresher
Douglass Barre (Age 28)
- carl with hands around mother's neck, strangling her
"mom, just stop your meddling and give me the @#*^& keys!!!"
- repeat of "drink and drive" panel, from a different
angle, revealing carl's fingers are crossed
- carl collapses, in tears "mom, how could you even
think i might do that; not after what happened to..."
- carl runs up to the river side, chugging a beer,
wearing his bathing suit.
He says "I didn't promise I wouldn't drink and DIVE"
- Carl drinks, but leaves the driving up to his dog.
- Carl is driving to the Mountain Dew commercial auditions. (this
may tie in nicely with the bungee cord).
Howard Ian Schiller
- Carl finds the driver's window smashed open.
- Carl driving, a dead circus clown is on the street.
"OHMIGOD. IS THAT...?"
- Carl stands in front of what is recognizable as an oil
rig; he is plainly wealthy (nice suit, holding cash, whatever).
"She didn't say anything about drinking and -drilling-!"
- Carl, while keeping his wide mouthed smile, pulls out
a gun and shoots his mother's glasses off. To obtain optimal
comdic effect, they should remain in the same stances as well.
Mom pointing etc.
- Just plain and simple; "minutes later.." show carl
drinking while driving, thereby ignoring the lady's request.
- Well, I said it before, and I'll say it again...
Carl's at the local marina, hopping into a cute little sailboat
with a 6-pack of beer. Speech bubble: "She didn't say anything
about drinking and boating."
- Alternatively, if you wanted to make a slightly more efficient
transition, and one that would jive with the other Carls'
adventures, you could just have him sitting in the boat holding
the tiller with one hand and tossing back a beer with the other.
- carl walks down the street, drinking beer.
He thinks:"i never drive, it keeps me from thinking straight."
or something like that
R David Francis
- Have a panel with mom or whoever that woman is behind
the wheel of a car with a bottle saying "Good, because it
wouldn't do for BOTH of us to drink and drive."
- "What a boring town I live in, there's nothing to do
here." Says carl driving around looking bored.
There are so many ways to go with a new begining! How about:
- Carl is on a golf course, having just driven a golf ball. He
"Well, a promise is a promise, after all."
- Same art, but Carl thinks "Oh, to Hell with my promise!" as he
swig of liquor.
- Carl driving a car. He thinks "I'm so thirsty! But I can't
- Carl driving a car. Caption: "But soon enough ..." Carl is
can't take it any more! I need a drink!"
- Carl does a double take, saying "Wait a second! Who the Hell
are you, anyway?"
- Carl in the back of a taxi, liquor in hand. Carl is obviously
(Optionally, the taxi driver could be a pink elephant).
And, of course, the obvious:
- Carl on a bridge, beer in hand, thinking "She never said
drinking and bungee jumping!"
- And, although it's on the "forbidden" list, I think "Help! I've
flame!" could be interesting at this early juncture.
Looking forward to seeing everyone else's suggestions!
- Carl at a golf course about to tee off. Thought
balloon: "Would she mind if it was a glass of water?"
- He looks at his choice of transportation and thinks
"hmmm, maybe I'll take the unicycle"
- The new panel has Carl flying a small airplane. "She
didn't say anything about drinking and flying!" Carl crows.
- ...outside a small dirty bar in a bad section of town, an
obviously intoxicated man stumbles towards his car.
- Carl festers in a seedy bar, nursing his brew,
significant stubble on his chin.
- A tipsy Carl hand his keys to to an unseen person
a hand protruding into the panel) and says, "Here. Take
these before I do something stupid."
- Carl walks to his car, looking upset.
Carl: But I _like_ to drink and drive.
- Carl: She didn't say anything about drinking and dangerous
- Carl calls a friend, says he has some beer but needs
someone to drive for him
- Carl drinks and walks
- Carl asks mom to drive so he can drink
- Carl drinks while deciding if he should drive
- Face it .... Carl is thirsty
Avery J. Cohen
- I think carl should say something akin to " I promise
alright, promise not to take any crap from you you old hag!"
while shaking his fist or pointing at his mom. ( He has issues.)
Avery J. Cohen
- Another alternative mode of travel:
"Well, that didn't work!"
Carl sitting on the ground, legs splayed. A broken bottle next to
him, a pogo stick laying behind him.
- Carl, who has a very nasty grin on his face, hops in
He revs up the car in haste and speeds off tearing through the
Carl thinks: "Who does she thinks she is? I'm a responsible
Carl has a sinister laugh! Something out of a Young
Frankenstein/Austin Powers Dr. Evil laugh!
- ....pogo stick?
- .....a special prosecutor appears and threatens to
arrest carl for untruthfulness?
[Now, now, Matt... People come here to get away from all that. ;-) --Scott]
- Meanwhile in Hell:"Step up for 'Send Carl to Hell'.
What do you think should go into the panel with the red dot?"
- we see Carl at a golf course driving a shot home.
Carl: Gosh, my Mom sure cares about my golf game.
- "I won't drink and drive! I'll just drink! A LOT!"
(Panel shows Carl getting high fast. Next panel could show Carl
contemplating what might happen if he tried bungee jumping or
- Carl is shooting up his car. "Heroin, however, is
- Carl gets out of his car at a voodoo ritual.
- Carl, whistling, is in the car. over his shoulder we
can see a coil of rope in the back seat.
- "Poor mom, she's completely gone. I just need to
go to the attic."
- "Darn! Now I have to find another way to kill
- Just for a change of pace --
The woman is in her car, drinking and driving & says --
"I never said I (bold) wouldn't!"
Douglass Barre (still age 28)
- Close-up on Carl, saying, "Hmm, what to do..." (maybe
he should be driving?)
- Carl screams, "I'll shoot you to pieces instead!" and points a
revolver at his mother, maybe firing it?
- Close-up on Carl's fingers crossed, behind him.
- Here's an obvious one -- Carl says he'll go rock-climbing or
- Carl sez: "Geez, I never get to have any fun"
- Shot of Carl's crossed fingers behind his back
Winter (age 3)
- He has a boa loa roa hoa, then he needs to get a prish
of soda. Then he says "a pree a pree, a ree a ree".
Sky (age 5 1/2)
- He drinks and drives.
- Carl drinks.
- I imagine prescription medicines are exempt from that promise...